Thanks for adding me

Developer
Aug 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Hi

Thanks for adding me to this project. I am new to this and new to C#. How can I help and how do I get started?

I really want to learn about C# coding and debugging

Thanks

Andrew
Coordinator
Aug 3, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Hi Andrew,

Good to know that you are so interested in C# and this project.

Like any other programming language, constant practice is the key to perfection here. Once you've learnt the basics, you have to keep developing new apps and try to find solutions to issues in existing ones by debugging.

The best way to get mastery in C# is to take the source-code of an app and debug it thoroughly. All you need to do that is a Visual Studio Express Edition or better (I believe 2012 is the latest stable one). Why not take existing code of scavenger and test it thoroughly? Once you study the code thoroughly, you can prepare various test-cases such as:

1) Download a file from a url.
2) Download multiple files at the same time.
3) Scheduling a file.
4) Break the connection and see it resumes the download or not.

If you find any issues, while testing any of these scenarios, try to find a solution by asking yourself - How can I change this code so as to resolve this. But before venturing into any of this, make sure you know at least the basics of C#, such as:

1) What is the .NET framework and what it does?
2) How is C# related to .NET framework?
3) Basic language constructs in C# like loops, decisions, etc.
4) .NET Framework library - System.Net, System.IO, etc.

The best place to learn this stuff is the internet and good sites like MSDN.

Cheers,

Prahlad.
Developer
Aug 3, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Hi Prahlad,

Im currently reading "Head First C#" and doing the exercises in there. I agree with you though, I need constant practice to get me up to speed completely. (Unfortunately, I do not do developing / programming as my day job)

I have Visual Studio Express 2010 installed and have been using that to create basic apps from the book.

Where are you based btw and are you a developer full time?

So do I just download the source code from here and open it in visual studio?

Then use the program as test various scenarios? Then if I have a problem see if I can fix it in the code itself?

Thanks

Andrew
Coordinator
Aug 4, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Hi Andrew, I'm based at Pune, India and I'm a full time developer. Yes, just download the code and open the solution file (scavenger.sln) in Visual Studio Express 2010. If you fix an issue, send me the updated code first so I can review it. Once I do so,
you can commit it in the svn trunk. (Svn or subversion is a source-code control system so developers located at different locations can work with a central repository, I hope you are aware of it. If not, google the term "subversion source control") Cheers,
Prahlad.